Responsible for the overall management of the Produce department. Provides leadership, direction to department associates. Displays a passion for produce, building strong effective teams and exceptional customer service. Accountable for the financial performance of the department including achieving sales, gross and shrink reduction goals. Creates an inspiring customer experience by ensuring excellent customer service and providing high quality, well merchandised products for our customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Create an outstanding customer experience through exceptional customer service. Give every customer immediate and undivided attention. Follow through on all guest questions and requests
- Ensure that food quality, freshness, and presentation meet all company standards
- Controls inventory, orders product, assures freshness, provides ample supply and variety
- Maintains shrink logs and transfer logs, as needed.
- Conduct scheduled inventories.
- Achieve required sales, margin, expense and labor targets.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities of a Produce Department Associate.
- Follow established food safety procedures
- Maintain accurate retail pricing and signage
- Follow and comply with established procedures and applicable health and safety codes to maintain a safe and sanitary work environment including sanitation, safe work practices, weights and measures. Operate, maintain and clean all equipment in a safe and proper manner. Monitor and maintain sanitation and cleaning checklist for produce production. Report all injuries and accidents to the Store Director.
- Know and practice proper lifting techniques
- Help cross-merchandise product with other departments
- Works with Director of Produce to create and implement new cut fruit/vegetable and other programs for the department.
- Understand why our products are different than conventional stores, and be able to explain to customers
- Manage team of associates in the Produce department.
- Assist in interviewing, selecting, training, developing and counseling food service department associates in a manner that builds and sustains a high performing team and minimizes turnover.
- Responsible for training Produce department associates in proper product handling, storage and rotation, packaging, stocking, equipment operation, and building displays.
- Determine break schedule and ensure all necessary breaks are given.
- Train and mentor team members to achieve development financial goals.
- Conduct team member reviews in a timely manner.
- Create a labor schedule to meet the productivity and customer service needs of the department.
- Counsels and disciplines team members according to company policy
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Furthermore, the individual must be able to multi-task and work at different paces, meet deadlines, and have reliable attendance. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to collaborate and lead as well as be self-directed
- Proven ability to mentor and develop team members
- Ability to manage multiple assignments at once
- Strong communication and organizational skills
· Must be self-motivated and solution oriented
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Must have current Oregon Food Handlers card, ServSafe certification a plus
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the department. Which include working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Successful experience working in a retail environment with strong demonstrated merchandising skills. Ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of management experience in a retail produce department with a strong knowledge of fruit and vegetable varietals and a strong customer service background.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from other managers, store managers, vendors & customers.
Strong basic math skills including the ability to add, multiply, divide, and subtract.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand for long periods of time
- Bend, lift, push and pull carts with heavy load
- Proper use of a box cutter, knives, and other department devices
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Frequent bending, stooping, and climbing
- Frequent use of stairs
- Repetitive stretching and lifting required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposure to temperature variations and wet conditions
- May walk and work on uneven and slick surfaces
- Requires reaching above and below shoulder height
- May need to use a ladder or stool to reach product or supplies
- Exposure to continuous background noise