- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 small head of radicchio, torn into pieces
- 2 blood oranges
- ¼ C slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ C feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ C blood orange juice
- 1 T shallots, finely chopped
- 1 T sherry vinegar
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- ½ t. honey
- 2⁄3 C extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
This fairly simple yet colorful salad plays on different textures and flavors of bitter radicchio, sweet butter lettuce, and tart blood orange.
- Whisk blood orange juice, shallots, vinegar, mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a small sharp knife, peel the blood oranges and remove all of the bitter pith. Working over a small bowl, cut between membranes to release orange segments. Toss butter lettuce and radicchio in a large bowl and divide the mixture among four plates. Divide orange segments, almonds, and feta cheese among plates. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.