- 3-4 fresh sweet bell peppers (red, yellow and/or orange)
- 4 Jalapeno cheddar sausages
- 1 cup precooked white rice
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed with hot water and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
- Garnish (optional): diced jalapeños, queso fresco, lime wedges
Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice each bell pepper in half from stem to bottom. Use a spoon to carefully scrape out the white skin and seeds inside each pepper, and use a paring knife to cut away the hard inside of each stem (being careful not to detach the stem from the pepper). Place the peppers on a sheet pan, and roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until soft to touch but still holding structure.
While peppers are in the oven, make the filling. Remove the casings from the sausages and place the meat into a high sided skillet. Fry the meat until cooked through, then add the rice, panko, canned tomatoes, corn, and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Stuff the filling tightly into each pepper and generously sprinkle grated cheese over the tops of each. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Serve immediately with diced jalapeños, queso fresco, and lime wedges as optional garnishes.