Partners with the Store Director to lead total store operations. Provides leadership, direction to department managers and associates. Displays a passion for food, building strong effective teams and exceptional customer service. Accountable for the financial performance of the store including achieving sales, gross and shrink reduction goals across all departments. Creates an inspiring customer experience by ensuring excellent customer service and providing high quality, well merchandised products for our customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees perishable and/or non-perishable department operations. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of all departments including labor allocation, job responsibilities, inventory management, merchandising, product knowledge and financial goals.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and independently manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, and speed based on the needs and conditions of the store. Balances administrative tasks with presence on the sales floor.
- Performs regular store walkthroughs to maintain merchandising and cleanliness standards. Works with department managers and associates to keep all displays clean, well-stocked, properly rotated and advertised with accurate signage.
- Oversees effective scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget.
- Responsible for store security and safety; monitors and guarantees proper sanitation, store appearance and cleanliness; ensures that store equipment is kept in good working order and properly maintained.
- Maintains responsive and cooperative relationships with department managers, associates, vendors and customers.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside associates.
- Models friendly and attentive customer service. Seeks customer feedback and uses it to improve the customer experience. Handles difficult customer service situations and seeks a positive resolution. Trains and coaches associates to do the same.
- Holds department managers and associates accountable for following polices and procedures. Promptly addresses and seeks resolution to operational issues.
- Understands and utilizes reports and data to aid in making sound business decisions. Sources include, but are not limited to financials, inventory, BR Data, ISS45, and product ordering systems.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Responds positively to feedback and demonstrates ability to work collaboratively with store level associates, merchandisers and home office.
- Position is full-time
Supervises department managers and associates
- Assist in interviewing, selecting, training, developing and counseling store level associates in a manner that builds and sustains high performing teams and minimizes turnover.
- Train and mentor store associates to achieve customer service and financial goals.
- Conduct associate reviews in a timely manner.
- Counsels and disciplines department managers and store associates according to company policy
- Communicates expectations and holds department managers and associates accountable for meeting standards through ongoing feedback, training and coaching.
- Works with department managers to evaluate and develop job knowledge and skills, including labor allocation, job responsibilities, inventory management, merchandising, product knowledge and financial goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Furthermore, the individual must be able to multi-task and work at different paces, meet deadlines, and have reliable attendance. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to collaborate and lead as well as be self-directed
- Proven ability to mentor and develop team members
- Ability to manage multiple assignments at once
- Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Must have current Oregon Food Handlers card, ServSafe certification a plus
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the store, which includes working a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and integrity.
- Able to answer customer questions in a clear and service-oriented manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Will have at least 3 to 5 years’ experience managing front-end retail operations and at least 1 year of experience managing a perishable department in a comparable high-volume retail industry. Previous inventory and financial management experience required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from other managers, store managers vendors & customers.
Strong basic math skills including the ability to add, multiply, divide, subtract and calculate percentages
Knowledge of Microsoft Office application including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages and discounts.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand for long periods of time
- Bend, lift, push and pull carts with heavy loads
- Proper use of a box cutter, knives, and other department devices
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Frequent bending, stooping, and climbing
- Frequent use of stairs
- Repetitive stretching and lifting required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposure to temperature variations and wet conditions
- May walk and work on uneven surfaces
- Requires reaching above and below shoulder height
- May need to use a ladder or stool to reach product or supplies
- Exposure to continuous background noise
- Walking surfaces are sometimes slick
- Any item over 40 pounds requires a team lift