Work with co-workers and department manager to ensure that all objectives and goals of the department are met or exceeded. Provides excellent customer service while serving and selling the highest quality products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide our customers with exceptional customer service.
- Give the customer your full attention, greeting all customers in department.
- Respond in a timely manner to all customer questions and requests.
- Understand why our products are different than conventional stores and be able to explain to customers
- Develop of strong familiarity of the products in the store. Memorize produce codes to ensure customers are charged for the correct item.
- Effectively operates the cash register; receives payment from customers, makes change as needed and ensures security and accuracy of cash contained in the cash drawer.
- Count and organize cash drawer (till) at the end of shift.
- Notify a floor manager/PIC when a cash pick-up or change is needed.
- When needed, consult with a department manager or floor manager/PIC to obtain correct pricing for a product (for items not on file). Ensure the customer is charged the correct amount for the product.
- Follow all Cashier Policies and Procedures to ensure proper handling of gift cards, food stamps, credit and debit cards, associate discount cards, and usage of personal checks.
- Refunds cash or issues credit to customers for returned merchandise.
- Keep the register area clean and well stocked.
- Work with team members to ensure the selling floor/aisles are cleared and well maintained.
- Ensure all customer purchases are packaged correctly. Request carry out service for all customers who require assistance.
- Answer telephones with proper etiquette.
- Adhere to state laws regarding the purchase/sale of alcohol products.
- Bag groceries for fellow cashiers and gather shopping carts when time permits.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Furthermore, the individual must be able to multi-task and work at different paces, meet deadlines, and have reliable attendance. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to collaborate as well as be self-directed
- Ability to manage multiple assignments at once
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to learn basic knowledge of all service departments and have a good understanding of products in the store.
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures.
- Effective time management skills, strong work ethic and integrity.
- Able to answer customer questions in a clear and service-oriented manner.
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the department. Which include working days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Prior cashier and grocery experience desired. Prior experience in a customer service position.
Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions. Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from other managers, store managers, vendors & customers.
Strong basic math skills including the ability to add, multiply, divide, subtract and calculate percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages and discounts.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and walk for long periods of time
- Bend, lift, push and pull carts with heavy loads
- Proper use of a box cutter, knives, and other department devices
- Frequently lift and/or move minimum of 15 up to 40 pounds
- Frequent twisting and bending
- Frequent use of stairs
- Repetitive use of hands with grasping and fine manipulation
- Repetitive stretching and lifting
- May need to use a ladder or stool to reach product or supplies
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposure to temperature variations and wet conditions
- May walk and work on uneven surfaces
- Requires reaching above and below shoulder height
- Exposure to continuous background noise
- Walking surfaces are sometimes slick
- Any item over 40 pounds requires a team lift