This lovely springtime dish is a simple and flavorful combination of asparagus, fava beans, and pistachios balanced by champagne vinegar, shallots, and fresh herbs from the garden. It doesn’t get much cleaner than this!
- ¼ cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons champagne or lemon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Kosher salt to taste
- ⅓ cup Zupan’s olive oil
- 1½ cups fava beans, blanched and peeled
- 1 bundle asparagus, cut into 1½-inch pieces, blanched
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 2 cups parsley leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup chives, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups shaved asparagus (optional)
- 3 tablespoons edible flowers (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine the pistachios, vinegar, shallot, salt, and olive oil. Stir well and let stand at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the fava beans, asparagus, arugula, and herbs. Dress with ¾ of the pistachio mixture and season generously with kosher salt. Toss and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
3. Transfer to a medium serving bowl and garnish with additional herbs and the renaming pistachio vinaigrette. If you like, add shaved asparagus and edible flowers for garnish.