These doughnuts are a gorgeous and fun addition to any breakfast or brunch, and your guests or family will not believe how simple they are to make. The chewy texture and sweet cardamom flavor lend a sophisticated air to a treat that really just brings out the kid in all of us.
- ½ C half and half
- 1 T butter
- 1⁄3 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 C bread flour
- 3 cardamom pods crushed or ¼ t. ground cardamom
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
1. Mix all dry ingredients together, including cardamom and yeast.
2. In a saucepan, bring the butter and cream to around 115˚. Temper the egg into the butter and cream mixture and pour this into a mixing bowl.
3. Using a bread hook on the mixer, slowly add dry ingredients about ½ C at a time, leaving ½ C set aside.
4. Once the dough is incorporated, knead in the remaining ½ C dry ingredients and form the dough into a ball. Let it rise for about an hour, covered with a damp cloth, in a warm area.
5. Roll out the risen dough until it is ¼” thick and cut out doughnut shapes and centers.
6. Set the doughnuts onto a baking tray, let rise again for another hour. Bake at 425˚ for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
A simple glaze would work wonderfully on these, as well as brushing them with butter and sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar. Let your imagination run wild!