I love peppadews. These little peppers can be found in the Zupan’s olive bar and are the perfect combination of sweet and hot. This whole salad is a bright and zingy little dish that can chase away any gray day. I’ve used pomegranate seeds as a garnish here, which add a glimmer of ruby to the salad.
- 1 C pomegranate juice
- ½ t. granulated sugar
- 1 t. good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 t. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 C carrot, shredded
- 1 C cucumber, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ C peppadews, chopped
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
- Boil the pomegranate juice until it has reduced to about 1⁄3 C. Typically this will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Chill before using.
- Shred the carrot and slice cucumbers. Julienne the peppadews coarsely, and keep the seeds if you like a little extra heat.
- Toss the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and flavor with salt and pepper.
- Top with the pom vinaigrette and toss gently. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.