Prepared green curry paste and ground turmeric add instant depth of flavor to this easy butternut squash soup which gets its richness from coconut milk. Make it vegan with vegetable broth and garnish with fried shallots or croutons.
- I medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp canola or neutral oil
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth/stock
- 1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- Fried shallots or croutons for garnish, optional
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and ginger and cook until softened. Add butternut squash, broth, and coconut milk. Reduce heat to a simmer and add green curry paste and turmeric. Stir and cook until squash is fork tender.
In two batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt. Serve warm garnished with crispy shallots or croutons if desired.