Serving Size: Serves 6 to 8
Red potatoes add color to the basic mashed potatoes recipe, and with roasted garlic and Parmesan in it, this dish is rich and full of flavor.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. red potatoes, skin-on scrubbed, and cut into chunks
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, skin-on scrubbed, and cut into chunks
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 C half-and-half
- 2⁄3 C grated Parmesan
- 1 T chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut off top of garlic bulb. Drizzle oil over the top and wrap it with aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast for about 20-30 minutes, or until garlic is soft when pierced with a fork. Let cool and then squeeze out the bulbs. Chop coarsely.
- Place potato chunks in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover them. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Melt butter in microwave. Warm half-and-half in a small saucepan.
- Remove potatoes from heat once cooked, drain completely, and return to pot. Add garlic, butter, Parmesan, and ½ C half-and-half. Mash with potato masher, and add more half-and-half if necessary for desired consistency. Season to taste with salt. Sprinkle with chives just before serving.