If you’re looking for a new way to prepare Brussels sprouts, may we suggest this delicious recipe?
- 24 small Brussels sprouts
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- ¼ C grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash sprouts well, trim stem ends, and remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut in half from stem to top and gently rub each half with olive oil, keeping it intact.
- Heat 1 T of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place sprouts in the pan, flat side down in a single layer, and sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt. Cover and cook for approximately 5 minutes. The bottoms of the sprouts should only show a hint of browning at this point. Check doneness by cutting into one to make sure they’re tender throughout. If not, cover and cook a bit longer.
- When done, uncover and turn up the heat to cook until the flat sides are a deep brown and caramelized. Use a metal spatula to toss them once or twice to get some browning on the rounded sides of the sprouts. Season with more salt and some fresh-ground pepper. Dust with grated cheese. Best if served immediately.