Serving Size: Serves 4 to 6
A slightly different take on cooking green beans for a holiday meal, this is nicely accented with dill and tomatoes. Adding a crumble of crisp cooked bacon instead of toasted pine nuts would never hurt here.
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small white onions, sliced into thin rounds
- ¼-½ t. red pepper flakes, depending on taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs. green beans, trimmed and tailed
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 t. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 T pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, green beans, tomato, and enough water just to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the beans are tender, then add the dill and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Strain the beans, reserving the liquid to be used as a sauce. Place the beans on a serving dish, spoon sauce over the beans and scatter with toasted pine nuts. Serve hot or at room temperature.