Spice up this year’s Hanukkah feast with Kefta Whole-Roasted Chicken, a delightfully tangy whole bird, smothered in a flavorful Kefta rub with onions and lemon before roasting to juicy perfection.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 lb
- 3 tablespoons Villa Jerada Kefta rub for chicken + 1/2 teaspoon for veggies
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-5 shallots, cut in quarters lengthwise
- 3 medium lemons, cut into quarters
- 2 whole bulbs garlic, tops cut to expose the cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Optional: Fresh thyme sprigs, parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the Kefta rub and teaspoon salt into a bowl and stir.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Rub the bird generously with olive oil.
- Next, sprinkle rub mix all over the outside and inside of the chicken and rub generously, spreading evenly all over and underneath.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Surround the bird with your lemons, shallots and garlic, tucking some under if you can.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan to keep the bottom from burning.
- Sprinkle veggies lightly with more rub and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 80-90 minutes until the internal temperature reads 165°F on an instant-read meat thermometer. Be sure to insert the thermometer between the leg and breast for the best gauge.
- Once done, remove the chicken from the oven. Allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving into pieces for maximum juiciness.
- Serve in roasting pan. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, fresh parsley and extra lemon if you like. Enjoy!