This flavor-packed recipe comes together in no time for a healthy, low-carb meal of spicy chicken sausages stir-fried with mushrooms, veggies and a savory sauce to spoon into fresh lettuce cups. Enjoy them as a quick fix lunch or light dinner, or serve them as an appetizer at your next dinner party.
- 1/4 cup Chinese plum sauce or hoisin, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tsp peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 4 Zupan’s Kung Pao Chicken Sausages, casings removed
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, drained and finely diced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 heads butter lettuce, cored and leaves separated
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for serving
- Hot chili oil, for serving
To make the sauce: Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Set a large, nonstick or well-seasoned wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2 teaspoons of the oil and swirl to coat, then add the sausage. Cook, breaking it up into small chunks with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate.
Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the hot pan and swirl to coat. Add the mushrooms and peppers, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute until aromatic. Stir in the cooked sausage, water chestnuts, and green onions, and pour in the sauce. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is hot and thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and taste and adjust the seasoning.
Transfer the sausage mixture to a large bowl. Serve along with the lettuce leaves piled on a plate, and the peanuts, chili oil, and more plum or hoisin sauce in small bowls at the table for everyone to build their own wraps. (Tip: use two lettuce leaves per wrap!)