½ cup grated cucumber
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or grated
¼ cup fresh mint and dill leaves, chopped
1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 pound orzo, uncooked
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large lemon, zested
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 pound ground American lamb
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 ounces feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
Red onions, minced
Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce.
- Place cucumber in a strainer and salt it with 1 tsp kosher salt. Let it drain for 20 minutes, then press out all of the excess liquids with the back of a spoon. Combine the cucumber with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain and drizzle with olive oil. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- While the orzo is cooking, heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer, until fragrant.
- Add lamb, cumin and oregano and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up with a spoon until fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve over the orzo. Garnish with tzatziki, feta, fresh mint & dill, cucumbers, red onions, and tomatoes, as desired. Serve with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!