- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup skinned hazelnuts, finely chopped
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1½ cups sweetened flake coconut
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Bake these sweet and tangy bars for special people this holiday season.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 13x9x2″ baking pan with aluminum foil, extending over the short ends. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the crust: put 1¼ cups of flour, hazelnuts, sugar, and salt into a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Place into the prepared baking pan and, with floured hands, pat into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to color. Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Leave the oven on.
- To make the filling: sprinkle half the coconut over the crust. Whisk together sugar, remaining ¼ cup of flour, eggs, lime juice, and zest until blended. Pour into pan on top of crust and coconut. Then, sprinkle the remaining coconut over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes more, or until the top has set. Remove the pan and cool on a wire rack. Once cool, refrigerate to chill. Once chilled, loosen the sides of the bar with small knife and using the foil, lift the bar out. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 24 individual pieces.