In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, optional hot sauce, and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Add crab meat and half the chives and gently fold to combine.
Cut a slice into the top each roll to make a split-top being sure not to cut all the way through. Trim sides if desired. Melt butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add rolls, cut edge surfaces down, and toast until lightly golden.
Transfer warmed buns to a serving platter and spoon crab filling into rolls. Garnish with reserved chives and serve immediately.
- Cooked crab meat from 1 whole Dungeness Crab
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Zest of half a small lemon
- 2-3 dashes of hot sauce, optional
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 brioche or Hawaiian-style dinner rolls