- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- 8 chicken pieces (legs and thighs) with skin and bone
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and pulp removed
- 1 C large green olives, pitted
- 1 C low sodium chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 C couscous
- ¼ C parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300˚. In a stockpot on medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Dry the chicken pieces on each side with a paper towel (if the chicken pieces are too wet, they will not brown properly). Generously season chicken with salt and pepper and set in the hot pan. Leave the chicken untouched for 2-3 minutes until it browns. Turn chicken and repeat. Remove from the pan and set on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Add the onion and sauté on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock to the stockpot along with the bay leaf, cinnamon, saffron, and olives. Cut the lemon rind into thin slivers and add to the pan. Add chicken, skin side up. Cover and cook for 1½ hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Discard the
3. Prepare the couscous according to package instructions. Season generously with salt and pepper and fold into the parsley. Serve alongside chicken.