½ cup creme fraiche (sour cream may be substituted)
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
½ tablespoon dill, fresh, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chive, finely minced
1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon salt
2 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled
2 small shallots, finely minced
1 large egg, beaten
2-3 tablespoons all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup grapeseed oil
½ pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
2 ounces California White Sturgeon Caviar
- In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche and cream cheese, whisk until smooth and no lumps remain. Add dill, chive, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Whisk until well combined and transfer to a small bowl. Garnish with additional minced chives or dill if desired. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Using A box grater, coarsely shred the potatoes. Transfer to clean kitchen towel or piece of double lined cheesecloth and wring out water until dry.
- In a medium bowl, mix the potato, shallots, egg, flour, baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the grapeseed oil until it shimmers (not smoking). Using a 2 ounce scoop, drop the mixture into the pan and flatten with the back of a spoon or a fork to make roughly a 3” round. This should make around 12 pancakes total. Cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes until golden brown. Flip the potato pancakes and cook until golden for about 2-3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Season generously with salt.
- Arrange the pancakes on a desired serving vessel and top each pancake with a folded or rolled piece of smoked salmon (about 1.5oz) and a generous portion of caviar. Ganish with additional minced chives if desired. Serve along with the dill creme.