Serving Size: Makes about 1½ lbs.
The delicate flavor of pears is enhanced with spices and finished off with crystallized ginger to add a kick to this otherwise mellow butter.
- 2 lbs. pears, peeled & cored
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1¼ C water
- ½ t. dried ginger
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 t. allspice
- 1⁄8 t. nutmeg
- 3¼ C sugar
- 1⁄3 C crystallized ginger, sliced thinly
- Place pears in a large pot with lemon juice and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, or until the pears are very soft.
- Purée pears with lemon and water in a food processor or blender until very smooth. Press purée through a fine sieve into a large pot. Add sugar and spices except crystallized ginger. Warm the pear mixture over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring often. Increase the heat to a rolling boil, cook for 15 minutes (or until the mixture is very thick and translucent) stirring frequently. To test, place a teaspoon of the mixture onto a cold plate. It should hold its form and not be runny. Remove from heat, stir in crystallized ginger.
- Spoon the pear butter into small, warmed, sterilized jars. Seal, label, and store in a refrigerator for at least 2 days before serving. Once opened, it should be kept in the refrigerator. Use within 3 months.