This springy salad is the picture of all things creamy, fresh, and delicious. It features one of our favorite products: Meredith Dairy Marinated Sheep and Goat Cheese. The tangy cheese is paired with crunchy spring peas, crisp butter lettuce, and salty cured ham. You can’t go wrong. But fair warning, this salad is addictive! Note: you can streamline the recipe further by simply topping the cheese base with a pile of spring peas and omitting the butter lettuce.
- ¾ cup Lustau Arbequina olive oil
- ¼ cup Arvum Vinagre de Jerez Reserva al Moscatel (or champagne vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8-12 oz. sugar snap peas, a few thinly sliced open
- 1 11-oz. jar Meredith Dairy Marinated Sheep and Goat Cheese
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves rinsed and torn
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, divided
- 1 2-oz. package Fermin Serrano Shoulder Paleta Serrana (or prosciutto)
- Handful local pea shoots (or micro greens)
- Basil leaves, torn
- Balsamic vinegar
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, Arvum or champagne vinegar, and sea salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, toss the snap peas with one-third of the oil mixture to coat.
- Pour the entire jar of the marinated cheese, including the oil, onto a large serving plate. Using a fork, press and spread the cheese, leaving some chunks intact to make the textured base.
- In a large bowl, toss the butter lettuce with a light drizzle of the oil mixture.
- Pile the butter lettuce on top of the cheese, leaving a 1- to 2-inch border of cheese visible. Top with a sprinkle of lemon zest.
- Add a layer of spring peas over the lettuce.
- Carefully twist and arrange each piece of Serrano over the salad, giving it some height.
- Top with pea shoots or micro greens, basil leaves, more lemon zest, and another drizzle of the oil mixture.
- Finish with a light layer of balsamic vinegar, a pinch of flaky salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.