These crostini are pure umami goodness. Flash-seared wagyu steak slices, buttery oyster mushrooms, and creamy goat cheese add layers of savory, meaty, mouthwatering flavor that will make this appetizer the highlight of any holiday party. And the best part is that the ingredients can be easily mixed and matched depending on your tastes and what’s available. Snake River Farm’s skirt or hanger steak both shine atop these crostini, as will your favorite creamy Zupan’s dip (choices below!). For an extra festive finish, add a drizzle of truffle finishing oil.
- 1 pound Snake River Farms Wagyu Skirt Steak or Wagyu Hanger Steak, sliced into 2-inch strips (roughly the size of the bread slices)
- 1½ tablespoons Jacobsen Salt Steak Rub
- ½ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups oyster mushroom caps, chopped
- 1 jars Meredith Dairy Sheep and Goat Cheese
- 20 Zupan’s walnut crostini
- 1 container Zupan’s Artichoke Jalapeño or Caramelized Onion Dip
- Chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- AL’OIVIER Porcini and Truffle Finishing Oil (optional)
- Arrange the steak slices on a piece of parchment paper and sprinkle with steak rub on both sides. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat ¼ cup butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the steak in batches and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or to your desired doneness. Transfer cooked steak to a bowl covered with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining steak.
- Pour out any remaining butter in the skillet and wipe clean. Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the remaining ¼ cup butter. Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown, tossing for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To assemble the crostinis, spread a thick layer of Meredith cheese on each crostini, using the oil in the jar for creaminess. Add a layer of Zupan’s dip.
- Top each crostini with mushrooms and a slice of steak. If you like, finish with fresh herbs and Porcini and Truffle Oil. Serve immediately.