This stuffed zucchini recipe features Zupan’s private label marinara sauce and is packed with Italian-inspired ingredients! Made with chicken sausage, parmesan, bread crumbs and topped with fresh basil, this will quickly become one of your favorite quick, easy and healthy weeknight meals.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup small diced yellow onion
- 1 large red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp minced or pressed garlic
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Zupan’s marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chiffonade ( sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano;+ more for serving
- 1 small bunch parsley minced
- Halve zucchini lengthwise, scoop out flesh to create a shallow boat. Keep walls of zucchini about 1/2 inch thick, and reserve flesh.
- Arrange zucchini boats in a baking dish, that has been brushed with olive oil. Chop flesh and set aside.
- In a skillet, add olive oil and add sausage, onion, and bell pepper. Saute a few minutes until onion is soft and sausage is browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Add garlic, tomato paste, cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini flesh and 1/4 cup of marinara sauce heat through 1 minute. Remove from heat. Taste and add salt, pepper or red pepper flakes if needed.
- Mix together panko, cheese, basil and parsley.
- Scoop zucchini mixture into boats, then add panko mixture on top.
- Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until tops are golden. Drizzle Zupan’s marinara sauce on each boat and enjoy!