- 1 package Zupan’s pizza dough
- Cornmeal (for dusting)
- 2/3 ball of Zupan’s mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Zupan’s Bacon Cheeseburger sausages
- 1/2 cup dill pickle chips, drained on paper towels
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Frank’s RedHot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 475°F for at least 30 minutes prior to baking, and place a pizza stone into the oven to preheat at the same time. (If you don’t have a pizza stone, you can put a sheet pan into the oven instead, or use a cast iron griddle.)
- Place the sausages in a skillet, add ⅓ cup water and turn heat to just above medium heat (about a 6 heat). Cover the skillet and allow sausages to cook for 8 minutes, then turn the sausages and cook for another 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool before using.
- Prepare your topping mise en place: Mix the ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise (and Frank’s RedHot, if desired) together in a small bowl (aka ‘special sauce’); mix the shredded mozzarella with the shredded cheddar; slice the cooled sausages into ¼” rounds; thinly slice the red onion; slice the cherry tomatoes into quarters; lay the pickle chips between two paper towels and press out as much liquid as possible.
- Cut the pizza dough in half and stretch and form each half into a small circle. (NOTE: don’t flour or oil the countertop because the tackiness helps to keep the dough stretched.) Once formed and rested, sprinkle a bit of cornmeal on top of a piece of parchment, and place the dough on top. (You may need to stretch and pull it a bit more after it rests on the parchment for a few minutes.)
- Assemble the pizza. Smear 2-3 tablespoons of ‘special sauce’ onto the base of each pizza. Generously sprinkle cheese mixture, then layer the sliced sausage pieces, red onion, cherry tomatoes and pickle chips. Top with a bit more cheese.
- Place the parchment and pizza onto the hot stone (or sheet pan or cast iron griddle), and bake for 7 minutes. Then, slide the parchment out from under the pizza (you might need to use some tongs or a spatula to hold the pizza back), and continue to bake for another 6-8 minutes until the crust is brown and cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.