Flavorful sausages, caramelized cauliflower and carrots, and a creamy, vibrant sauce makes for a restaurant-quality meal in 30 minutes.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick on a bias
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Spice Tribe “Mole Masa” spice blend, or other Mexican spice blend
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or other neutral oil
- 4 Zupan’s Turkey Mole Sausages
- 1 batch Avocado Crema (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios
- Microgreens or cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 small avocado
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and thin stems
- 1/2 cup Mexican-style crema or sour cream
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (remove seeds for a more mild flavor, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Make the avocado crema: Purée the avocado, cilantro, crema or sour cream, jalapeño, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor to a smooth, thick purée. Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon juice or salt as needed. Set aside.
- Toss the cauliflower and carrots in a large bowl with the melted butter, spice blend, salt, and pepper until well coated. Spread in a single layer on on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables, without stirring, until tender and deeply browned on the bottom edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle the pistachios over the vegetables and toss them together.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil to coat the surface of the pan or the grates. Place the sausages in the pan and cook until nicely browned, turning once, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven to finish cooking the sausages until their internal temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon the avocado crema in the center of 4 plates and spread it in a big circle. Place a pile of the vegetables over the sauce on each plate and add a sausage. Garnish with the microgreens or cilantro leaves and serve hot.