Wild Rice Filling
2 cups wild rice, cooked
2 large shallots, finely minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
2 oranges, juiced and zested
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
3 tablespoon dill, freshly picked
¾ tablespoon salt
1 steelhead 2 ½ avg, whole, scaled and gutted
4 cups wild rice filling
Zupan’s Organic Olive Oil as needed
Sea salt as needed
Hickory powder (OPTIONAL IF NOT USING A SMOKER)
Nutrient-packed steelhead stuffed with a wild rice salad with notes of orange, shallot, fresh herbs and smoked to perfection. This recipe is perfect for date night or easy enough for a quick dinner for the family. No smoker no problem, follow the cooking time and temperature in a conventional oven for an equally delicious meal.
- Prepare wild rice following box or bag instructions. We recommend cooking in chicken or vegetable stock to add richness and an intensified flavor to the wild rice. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine cooked wild rice, shallot, garlic, olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, parsley, thyme and salt. Mix well and place covered into the refrigerator.
- Bring the steelhead onto a clean working surface and using paper towels pat the fish dry as well as the inner cavity. Score the skin on both sides using a very sharp knife.
- Remove the wild rice filling from the refrigerator and pack tightly into the belly.
- Cut four 4” pieces of butchers twine and tie around the fish in equal sections to keep the filling from falling out.
- Rub the fish generously with olive oil and sea salt (and hickory powder if not using a smoker). Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the smoker to 275 degrees f. Load the smoker with desired wood or pellets. We suggest using something with medium strength such as alderwood but hickory or mesquite will work beautifully as well.
- Place fish into the smoker directly onto the hot grills (ensure they are hot) let cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes return to the smoker and carefully using a large grill spatula and tongs turn the fish over, close the lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and let it stand 5-8 minutes, remove butchers twine and serve immediately. Drizzle with olive oil and finish with fresh-picked herbs, orange peel and sea salt.