Sablefish, also known as black cod, is a buttery, delicate, white fish that melts in the mouth. A refreshing salad of crisp cucumbers, snap peas, vibrant watermelon radish, and sweet dragon fruit, is the ideal accompaniment to this Japanese-inspired citrus and miso broiled fish. Serve with steamed jasmine rice, if desired.
Yuzu Miso Marinade
1/4 cup yuzu juice, such as Yakami Orchard 100% Pure Japanese Yuzu Juice
1/4 cup sake
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup white miso paste
Black Cod and Spring Salad
1 1/2 pounds black cod, cut into 4 fillets
3 Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
8 ounces snap peas, cut in half on a bias
1 watermelon radish, cut into matchsticks
1 dragon fruit, diced or cut into batons
1/3 cup pickled sushi ginger, minced
1/3 cup yuzu juice
Furikake or black sesame seeds, to garnish
To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve the miso paste. Gently simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cool the marinade completely.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade for the salad. Place the cod fillets into a glass baking dish and pour the remaining marinade over the fish. Turn to coat them well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 3 days. (The longer they marinate, the deeper the flavor.)
- Just before cooking the fish, preheat the broiler with a rack positioned about 4 inches below the heating element.
- In a large bowl, whisk the reserved 1/4 cup marinade with the pickled ginger and 1/3 cup yuzu juice. Add the cucumbers, snap peas, radish, and dragon fruit and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill while the fish cooks.
- Gently wipe any excess marinade from the cod fillets and place them on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Broil until the fish is lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Turn off the broiler and leave the fish in the oven to gently finish cooking until the internal temperature registers 140˚F, about 5 minutes more. Remove the fish from the oven and remove the bones (they should be slightly protruding and easy to pull out).
- Divide the broiled cod fillets and chilled salad among 4 plates and garnish with furikake or black sesame seeds.