The first of California Cherries have arrived at Zupan’s Markets!
Did you know that cherries have the same size pit regardless of the size of the cherry? At Zupan’s Markets, we simply always buy the biggest cherries that Mother Nature provides us with. Which means that you get more fruit and less pit at Zupan’s. Enjoy this early summertime favorite as a snack, on top of a salad, or in a freshly baked pie.
How Growers Set Cherry Size
The industry measurement for cherries is “row size.” The less cherries that fit in a row mean a bigger cherry. More cherries per row means a smaller cherry. This is always changing depending on crops, but we try and provide an 8.5 to 9.5 row cherry whenever Mother Nature allows.
Picking the Perfect Cherry
- Look for cherries that are firm, plump, and deep in color. These will be the freshest and sweetest!
- Choose ones without blemishes, cuts, or bruises.
- Leave the stems attached to keep them fresher longer.
- Cherries like it cold.
- Store them in the fridge, unwashed, and keep them dry.
- Cherries will keep well for at least a week in the fridge.