DOUBLE PIE CRUST
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 cups frozen and thawed or blanched fresh vegetables such as carrots, petite peas, sweet corn
In a food processor, add flour and salt and pulse to combine. Scatter butter around flour and pulse several times until butter is evenly cut into flour with pieces no larger than a small pea. Drizzle ice water over the flour mixture and pulse again, just until the dough starts to come together. Dough should hold together when squeezed but not feel wet or crumbly. Dump half the dough onto a large square of plastic wrap and shape into a flat, even disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and repeat with the remaining dough. Refrigerate dough for at least 45 minutes or up to two days before rolling.
If using frozen vegetables, thaw and drain well. If using fresh vegetables, cut into small, uniform pieces and blanch in boiling water. Drain and reserve.
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat and cook onions until tender. Add salt, pepper, flour, stock, and milk. Whisk to combine. Switch to a wooden spoon and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Turn off heat. Add turkey and vegetables and stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Spoon turkey filling into a crust-lined pie plate. Top with second pie crust and seal edges. Cut a few slits in the top crust and brush with optional egg wash. Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown. If the crust seems to be getting too dark, spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and place it on top of pie during the last few minutes of baking. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.