Place the olive oil, vinegar, peppercorns, and salt in a small saucepan and warm until just to a boil. Heat gently for five minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Turn off heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, pack mushrooms and herbs into jars fairly tight without crushing the mushrooms. Cut remaining mushrooms to fit into jars if necessary. Once the jars are filled, pour oil and vinegar mixture in to cover mushrooms. Top with additional room temperature 50/50 oil and vinegar mix if necessary.
Close jars and place in the refrigerator. Allow mushrooms to marinate for at least 24 hours before serving. The marinated mushrooms can be refrigerated for up to two months. Oil may solidify and that is okay. If desired, simply allow jars to come to room temperature and oil will return to liquid form.
For gift giving, add tags with dates and “Refrigerate and consume within two months”.
- 2 cups Zupan’s Markets olive oil*
- 2 cups white wine or champagne vinegar*
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms
- Your choice of interesting fresh herbs (for example, chives, thyme, marjoram, etc.)
- 3 or 4 Weck Canning Jars found at Zupan’s Markets
*Note: The amount of olive oil and vinegar needed depends on the Weck jar sizes used. Adjust as needed; the olive oil and vinegar ratio is 1:1.