Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and one tablespoon of olive oil and allow butter to melt, stirring to avoid burning. Add diced shallot and stir for about one minute until shallot is translucent. Add chanterelle mushrooms. Continuing cooking on medium heat and stirring until mushrooms are cooked through. Remove skillet from heat and stir in the crème fraîche. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mixture can be made one day in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Gently reheat before spreading on toasts and serving.
Before serving, position an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high. Cut the baguette into about 20 slices. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush one side with olive oil. Broil olive oil side up until the bread is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and toast the other side, about 1 minute. Spread the warm mushroom mixture on the olive oil side of the toast, sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, and chives. Serve immediately.
- 3/4 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Zupan’s Markets olive oil, plus more for brushing on toast
- 1 shallot, diced
- ½ cup Bellwether Farms Crème Fraîche
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Ken’s Artisan French baguette
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Fresh chives, finely chopped