This sauce is a spicy standby when you are looking for a little extra heat in your pasta. Arrabbiata means “angry,” but that doesn’t need to affect your mood as you prepare this for yourself or the ones that you love.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 C fresh basil
- 3 oz. pancetta
- ½ C strong extra virgin olive oil
- 3 C canned tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- Pecorino Romano cheese, to taste
- Finely chop the garlic and basil. Slice the pancetta into small pieces.
- Cook the garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Once the garlic begins to sizzle, add pancetta. Cook the pancetta until it is slightly browned but not crispy. Add tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes. Adjust the red pepper to taste.
- Cook sauce until the tomatoes have reduced (about 25 minutes). Just before serving, add chopped basil.
- Boil pasta according to directions, drain, and stir into sauce.
- Add cheese, then serve immediately.