Serving Size: 2
This easy rice bowl is totally customizable to whatever vegetables and topping you like and have on hand. It’s reminiscent of a colorful poke bowl but with the flavors of a seared salmon sushi roll. If you’re missing the creamy element, feel free to drizzle on some Sriracha mayo.
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice, warm
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (or rice vinegar, salt, and sugar to taste)
- 2 (4-6 ounce) skin-on steelhead fillets
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced and dressed with seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced and dressed with seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- Radicchio or red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger
- Furikake rice seasoning
- Sriracha mayo (optional)
Drizzle seasoned rice vinegar over warm rice and fold in to mix. Keep warm and reserve.
To cook steelhead, rinse fish under cold water and pat dry. Season on both sides with salt and black pepper. Heat a non-stick pan with olive oil over medium heat. Place fish, skin side down in pan and cook undisturbed until fish is opaque about halfway up the sides, about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of fish. Flip fish and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a plate, skin side up. Using tongs, remove and discard the skin. If you like the skin, feel free to leave it on.
Divide seasoned sushi rice into two shallow bowls. Sprinkle rice generously with furikake and arrange fish on top. Add prepared vegetables and assorted toppings in small piles around the fish. Drizzle with Sriracha mayo, if desired.