- 1 pound of pancetta, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar Zupan’s Tomato Basil sauce, pureed in a food processor or blender
- ½ teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried bucatini
- ½ cup freshly grated pecorino, romano or Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and sauté until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes. Add pepper flakes and black pepper; stir for 10 seconds.
Add tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt; add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until 2 minutes before al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
Add drained pasta to sauce in skillet and toss vigorously with tongs to coat. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and cook until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes. (Add a little pasta water if sauce is too dry.)
Stir in cheese and transfer pasta to warmed bowls.