- In a medium bowl mix together ginger, mayonnaise, mustard, and honey with ½ C of the orange juice.
- In a small bowl, combine half of the chopped shallots with 3 T of the remaining orange juice. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add avocados, remaining shallots, mint, and cilantro to the medium bowl, which contains the ginger mixture, and mix tossing lightly so as not to break down the avocado.
- Before serving, set aside 8 orange segments. Toss the rest of the orange segments with the whole lettuce leaves and just enough of the olive oil mixture to coat. Divide the lettuce and oranges among 4 plates. Spoon some avocado onto each plate. Top with the reserved orange segments (two per plate) and drizzle any remaining ginger mixture over the salad.
- Garnish each salad with whole mint and cilantro leaves and, if desired, pickled ginger.
Serving suggestion: Jicama sticks may also be used to garnish the salad, and crumbled crispy bacon bits may be sprinkled on top for variation. If you’re fond of coconut, add a tablespoon of coconut flakes to the dressing or sprinkle them atop the salad.
- 2 Hass avocados, sliced and cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 navel oranges, cut into segments with the skin and membrane removed
- ¾ C orange juice
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 T mayonnaise
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 2 t. honey
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T mint, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 T cilantro, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 4 leaves Boston lettuce, whole leaves
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuce, whole leaves
- Sliced pickled ginger, optional garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper