For the dressing:
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the croutons:
- 2 cups crusty day old bread, torn
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cup halloumi, cut into slices
- 1 cara cara orange, peeled, cut into rounds
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, cut into rounds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup mint leaves. torn
In a mason jar, add all the dressing ingredients, put the lid on and shake to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for later.
Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss the torn bread with the olive oil. Spread the bread pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes, until golden and crisp; let the croutons cool.
In a saute pan over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil. When hot, add the cheese slices and cook until golden brown. Flip the halloumi slices and cook the other side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool. You can also serve this salad semi warm and simply serve immediately after cooking the cheese.
On your serving plate, layer the ingredients together. You can toss this salad but i think it looks prettier when you spend the time to compose it nicely on the plate. Drizzle over your dressing and top with flake salt and ground black pepper.