- 1 cup farro
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 hatch peppers roasted, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese-finely grated as needed
- Mixed mushrooms-shiitake, crimini, porcini (fresh or dried) reconstituted and sautèd for garnish
Combine the farro with the chicken broth in a medium, heavy saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook until just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Drain the farro over a bowl so that you can reserve what’s left of the cooking liquid, and set both aside.
Rinse the saucepan and add the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent- about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, another 5 minutes or so.
Add the farro and Hatch peppers and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Fold in the Parmesan, adding enough of the reserved chicken broth to get a slightly creamy consistency.
Fold in more Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately or cover and reheat gently before serving, adding more liquid as necessary. Serves 4 as a side dish.