This hearty sauce is savory with melt-in-your-mouth shredded lamb that is perfect atop pasta, rice, or polenta.
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t ground fennel seeds
- Fresh rosemary and thyme, to taste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 C dry red wine
- One 12-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 C lamb or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Your choice of pasta, polenta or rice to serve alongside
- In a heavy pot, such as enameled cast iron, heat 2 T olive oil. Add the diced onions, the carrots and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb, fennel, cumin, rosemary, bay leaf, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste, about 1 teaspoon of each. Cook, stirring, until the most of the moisture evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and stock to the pot along with the canned tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a steady simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid i reduced, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the lid and let cool briefly, then with a fork or spatula pull the lamb apart. Serve over pasta, polenta or rice. Garnish with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano.