2 tablespoon Zupan’s Organic Olive Oil
1 cup celery root, peeled and small diced
1 cup rutabaga, peeled and small diced
1 cup turnip, peeled and small diced
1 cup zucchini, small diced
1 cup yellow onion, small diced
1 cup crimini mushroom, rough chopped
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
3 cups swiss chard, rough chopped
2 cups ricotta cheese, divided
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 jar (24oz) Zupan’s Tomato Basil Sauce
1 box lasagna sheets, cooked and lightly dressed in olive oil
2 cups Zupan’s fresh Mozzarella cheese, shredded into pieces by hand
¾ cup pecorino, finely grated
¼ cup basil, torn by hand (optional)
Utilizing earthy root vegetables, mushrooms, and rich ricotta cheese, this classic with a twist is sure to impress. The fresh mozzarella adds a wonderful but unique chew and the hearty tomato basil sauce keeps this recipe quick and easy to prepare. a win for the winter months and will be in your recipe book for years to come.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Begin to prepare the vegetable filling: In a large skillet over medium heat warm the olive oil. Once shimmering, add the celery root, rutabaga turnip, zucchini, onion, mushroom and garlic. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until all the vegetables are golden on the edges about 8 minutes.
- Add the swiss chard and stir often until the chard has wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside. 4. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl and combine with the ricotta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well until well combined.
- Open the jars of sauce and pour into a separate container that can easily fit a large or large spoon, set aside. 6. Spread 1 cup of the tomato basil sauce over the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish. Layer 3 lasagna noodles on top (trim the noodles if needed to make fit). Spread 2 cups of the ricotta mixture evenly over the noodles, top with ¾ cup tomato basil sauce and half a cup of the shredded fresh mozzarella.
- Top with 3 more lasagna noodles, followed by the renaming 2 cups ricotta cheese mixture, then ½ cup of the mozzarella.
- Top with 3 more lasagna noodles, then spread with 1 cup tomato basil sauce to evenly cover the noodles, place remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the pecorino.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil (do not let it touch the cheese). Bake covered for 18 minutes, then remove the foil, rotate the pan and cook for an additional 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Garnish with basil if desired.